Saturday, January 16, 2016

A Personal Health Note to My Readers and Friends (UPDATE)

As I sit here late at night dreading tomorrow morning, I thought it would only be fair to be honest with all of you who have been such loyal and good readers, friends and sponsors.

I have not felt good for quite a few months and I kept thinking it was nothing and that I would get better and I would catch up on all the reviews I owed, both products and books, but the last 2 weeks have been really rough and finally my husband said enough is enough. I have been afraid to go because lots of times the symptoms are from one of my autoimmune disorders and then I feel foolish that I took up some doctor's valuable time and mine also, putting me further behind on what I need to be doing.

Well, that procrastination came back to bite me big! First off, the tests showed my thyroid had tanked pretty bad, enough that it was causing my kidneys to not work right. You do know that your thyroid controls just about everything, right? Anyway, the last time this happened in 2003, it shut my stomach down and that was really rough. I got down to 89 before people finally took me seriously when I said something wasn't right.

Of course, I didn't expect it to be this bad. I just figured the Fibromyalgia was doing it's nasty thing and although I haven't said it to any of you, since last December I have been getting extremely sick at my stomach and retching for anywhere from 10 to 16 hours. Then we would head to the ER and they would have to give me fluids for a few days and IV nausea meds to get me stable. That has been happening at least once or twice every month.

While in the ER they take your blood pressure and mine would be between 165/104 to 198/111 and we just thought it was because I was in distress from all the retching and not being able to take my pain medicine and all my other medications because I couldn't get them to stay down.

Well, it turns out we were all wrong and we think one of my medications was the cause of the retching but that the high blood pressure also played a hand in helping make me sicker. So, I had the high blood pressure before the incidents. When I had a routine doctor appointment 2 months ago and it was 155/110, I was put on a low dose of blood pressure medicine. I had to have it checked every day so we bought a kit and for 30 days it rarely went down, even with the blood pressure medicine.

I called up the doctor's office and told them that it was still hovering around 160/100 or 140/97, so they increased it and finally this week it has gone back to normal. That part is the best part of my story.

Unfortunately, last week I started noticing I had trouble breathing if I walked too much, stood too much, tried to do too much or just making dinner and then finally just talking on the phone I would get so short winded and my mouth so dry that I would have to hang up. I figured it was a side effect of the blood pressure medicine.

Wow! How wrong was I? As soon as I called them on Monday, I was ordered to the office Tuesday at 8:00 am and lots of tests were ordered and unfortunately, my EKG came back abnormal with some sort of activity. The nurse wouldn't tell me much other than it was off base from my last one and then I was told I was going to have a Nuclear Stress Test Thursday morning at 8:00 am.

I have had those before a few times and never have I been told not to eat anything or drink anything with caffeine or take my heart medicine in the morning. I have rapid palpitations that this medicine helps slow them down. I have also been told not to take anything that might thin my blood. So, because all of this is happening so fast after that EKG, chest X-ray and some blood work, I think if I fail this stress test tomorrow, I will be heading into some type of surgery, whether angioplasty or whatever.

My father had to have Angioplasty done 2 or 3 times, so I know quite a bit about it and it scares the crap out of me. I don't have good veins from all the hospital stays back in 2003 thru 2006 and back then they used Phenegran for nausea so it burned the veins really bad if you didn't mix it with a lot of saline and push it slowly. Some nurses did and I had a few who pushed it all and burned me good. My whole left arm is completely useless.

Anyway, I did not want to leave in the morning not knowing my fate or what is going to happen without at least saying something to all of you because you have been so very kind and wonderful to me all these years.

To the sponsors who I owe book reviews and product reviews, I am so terribly sorry for this unfortunate turn of events. I never dreamed it could be something like this. I just thought it was my thyroid tanking and maybe a relapse of Fibromyalgia and that after a few weeks on the new dosage of synthroid for the low thyroid, I would feel better and get some of them knocked out. Gosh, I wish I had known things were so much more dire than that! I would have never accepted so many projects and books and left all of you with no reviews.

I know it doesn't help much now and some of the Christmas themed books and products are the ones who will suffer the most, but as soon as I can, I will get them up. At least I pray that is what happens. If for some bizarre reason time goes on and no one hears from me, I may not have made it. I have tried to show my husband how my blog works and how to get into it and the passcodes, but it's useless, so he won't be able to make any kind of announcement.

So, if nothing happens for quite awhile, just email me using the Contact Me tab at the top of the page and he does at least know how to read my emails and I have told him to answer the emails or at least ask one of the bloggers to get the word out so everyone is not wondering or left with no idea.

Hopefully, this is all for naught, and I pray that it will all turn out okay, but I would rather be straight up and forward then to leave you all in suspense and thinking I made off with books and products and left you holding the bag. I also wanted to make sure my readers and friends knew that I have enjoyed my wonderful time with them and have loved every minute or shared email. I was also just as excited as the winners when they won because I remember when I first started out, how awesome I felt when I won something that I really wanted!

For all of you, I wish you well in all of your entries into other contests and I hope that you win some of the ones that you wish for the most!

Have a very Merry Christmas and one of the best ever Happy New Year's in 2016 and if I have anything to say about it, I will be here celebrating it right along with you. Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of your blogging world, it was one of the best times in my life!


I decided to just update this post instead of writing a new one so if you haven't read the top part and then I do an update, some of you might not know what had happened or what is going on, so I will just keep updating here on the same post.

Today is January 5th and I must say I had a very unusual stress test where I did not get on a treadmill. They were afraid that between both of my knee's being replaced and because I was so short of breath, that I might not be able to make it to the target heart beat, so they did it with drugs! I was not a happy camper that day because I take so much medicine already and some of the side effects weren't very pleasant. If you have IBS, then you will understand why. This Lexicon something or other test has the side effect of causing pain in the intestines and stomach so I wasn't at all willing to do that. I wanted to try the treadmill first but they said if I did and couldn't pass the test that they didn't have time to try the one with the medicines. So, I was very upset that I had to agree to do it that way. And of course it did cause me some pretty bad pain in both areas!

Anyway, it looks like the small hole that is making my heart leak has gotten slightly bigger but not big enough for them to do anything. They said the surgery would not be good to do right now and they wanted to save that option for later down the road. Also, the wall separating the right and left parts of your heart is suppose to be very rigid and mine is very floppy. Nothing they can do about that except watch it and hope it doesn't let any blood clots through. But, if I continue to have these episodes, they will make the decision then to go ahead and do both surgeries at the same time.

My EKG was abnormal and unknown to all of us, it seems it's been that way the last couple of times that my heart doctor took it, she just didn't want to upset me since it's very minor and more than likely the EKG that my Internist did that day caught my rapid palpitations.

I used to have to go every year for yearly Echo's of the heart but now I will be going every 6 months unless I have other symptoms that warrant my going in sooner. They have changed around quite a bit of my medications and dosages and because my thyroid is so low, they have dramatically raised the dosage of synthroid. They are hoping that between that and the Fibromyalgia, that hopefully, those 2 combined with the RA just had my body in shutdown mode. I did not know this but my rapid palpitation medication can cause dehydration and weakness. So, I have a lot of things going against me right now.

I am still very exhausted and have to take several naps every day but today for the first time, I did ride my incumbent bike here at the house for just a few minutes because they said I needed to do some form of exercise to try and keep clots to a minimum if I can.

I do go see my Urologist next week because it seems now the bladder wants to get in on the action. Either the sling that they used back in 2009 let my bladder fall or the opening to the bladder is trying to close. I had this happen quite often when I was younger and I couldn't figure out why I had to go every 10 minutes. Well, it's back and I am dreading next week. I don't know which one I wish for the most because they are both painful to fix. Fixing the opening means I have to be awake whereas the lifting of the bladder into a sling I am put to sleep.

My Internist thinks all of this is happening because of the thyroid being so low that it can't keep up with all the functioning parts that it plays in keeping your body going. That tiny little thng is actually very important to your body, so if you suspect anything might be going on, I would get it checked immediately. When I first had thyroid issues, it was the opposite, no matter how much I ate, my body was burning it faster than I could eat and then my thyroid swelled and I could only drink liquids. I was down to 88 pounds before someone realized it was my thyroid. Then it was overactive, so please be careful when judging someone who is very thin. It might not be anorexia at all. They told me then that whatever form of thyroid dysfunction you had at first, you would have the opposite later in life.

Gosh, how true that is! Now, I have hypothyroid where my body wants to store every bit of calorie that I eat. No matter what I do, it just won't stop the scale from adding pounds to my body, which is probably another reason why I feel so bad and have no energy. I am carrying around about 20 pounds that I am not used to and that is not helping anything. Hopefully, like the last time in 2003, when it tanked even worse than this one (it shut down my stomach and intestines) and I couldn't even drink water because I had no way to absorb it. But, they were able to get it up to normal and the weight came off, it wasn't fast, but it did finally level out.

So, for now, that is about all I can share with all of you. I really won't know anything about the heart situation for awhile. The leak will eventually have to be plugged up somehow but they want to wait until I am stronger and that means the thyroid needs to be normal before any talk of surgeries can be discussed. It usually takes about a good 6 to 8 weeks for the new doses to kick in and then I should start feeling a lot better.

I will let you guys know next week what the Urologist thinks about the bladder situation. I know I have a few book giveaways I need to draw winners for and I am hoping to do those tomorrow and get those out of the way. Thanks so much for being so patient and understanding while I am trying to recover and hopefully, maybe something will happen and I won't need any surgeries for anything. That would be the best present ever!

I hope all of you had an awesome Christmas and an even happier New Year's Eve celebration!
***********2nd Update**********
I am still seeing doctors and getting tests done and having medications altered that don't work or have too many side effects. I think I have finally gotten used to the high blood pressure medicines but they are making me so tired! On top of the pills I take for rapid palpitations, those two slow everything down and with the thyroid being low on top of that, it's a wonder I can get up at all. I did manage to get a few giveaways up for some bloggers and one book review that was late and the new book blog hop going but now I am exhausted and will try again here in a few hours to get a few more book reviews and/or giveaways up if I can. Thanks so much for your patience.


latanya t said...

Praying for you merry. I wish you the best!

Razzledazzlestyles said...

Oh Mary, my heart was breaking for you as I was reading your post tonight. Tears filled my eyes. It has been a pleasure to read and get to know you as a real person. My prayers are with you my friend. You are amazing person and blogger. I wish I had half the skills you have as a blogger. I am still still learning everyday. Heck. I love when my winners win a giveaway!! I personally have never won a giveaway!! But seriously I am very concerned about you. I think you know I suffer with a rare blood disease. Two of my young daughters have it. It basically means we get internal bleeding. But enough about me. My prayers will be tonight for you my friends. Praying for you and your family. Much love Merry Christmas xo

Kaye Killgore said...

Mary, praying healing prayers for you and sending hugs

Create With Joy said...

Mary, you are in our prayers - we love you and will be looking for an update from you when you are feeling better!


Meredith said...

I will miss your posts, Mary, but it's so much more important that you take care of you first. I hope that the doctors find the best way to help you. Happy holidays!

Jackie said...

You will be in my prayers. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Maryann D. said...

Dear Mary,
Sending you many prayers and best wishes for everything to turn out well for you. Wishing you a better year in 2016 with your health returning.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Sharon Braswell said...

Mary I am SO sorry for all that you have been gone through...My heart goes out to you! Please know that I will be praying for you! Godspeed!

Tracee Gleichner said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you - hopefully things will all be fine. I look forward to an update and hope you have a good holiday season in spite of what is going on. Hugs!

Mary BookHounds Jacobs said...

Praying for you Mary. I hope all of the test come back with an idea of how they can help you. Hugs!

fee roberts said...

Praying for you, Mary. Sending hugs! XXX

barbara stenby said...

Good Luck and feel better. It will be alright. Hope you gain strength in knowing how many people wish you well. Merry Christmas

Andrina Goetz said...

Mary my prayers are with you. Take your time and heal.

Razzledazzlestyles said...

Hello Mary,

Just checking how you are doing? Praying for you and your family :) xo

Mary BookHounds Jacobs said...

I hope you are feeling a bit better after all you have been through. Thinking good things for you!

Diane Estrella said...

I am so sorry for all that you are going through. I pray continued strength to your body and peace for your mind. Praying the doctors will be able to sort all this out and get you exactly what your body needs to heal.